Red Lion Inn at Stockbridge Massachusetts
CLICK ON IMAGE TO MAKE IT LARGER & SEE OTHER DETAILED VIEWS
Red Lion Inn, Main Street, Stockbridge, Massachusetts
11 x 14 inches Oil on canvas By Hall Groat II
PRIVATE COLLECTION IN KENTS HILL, MAINE
This luminous nocturne is of the famous Red Lion at Stockbridge, ma. It’s painted in a impressionist style in umber, violet, white, green, blue, gold, red, cream, and gray tones. Gallery wrapped giclée prints are also available in our online art gallery in sizes ranging from 8×10 to 30×40 inches, which are perfect for the home, corporate office, or hospitality design project.
Some time around 1773, Anna and Silas Bingham established a general store in Stockbridge on the road that connected Boston to Albany, which soon evolved as a stagecoach stop, tavern and Inn, under the sign of the red lion. Travel at the time was difficult and uncomfortable, and the Bingham’s little tavern quickly became a popular and welcome rest stop for bruised and battered travelers.
The Red Lion Inn also became the center of village life, where people could gather, exchange pleasantries, discuss the issues of the day and relax at the end of the day. In the winter of 1786, Daniel Shays led a group of more than 100 local farmers and citizens in protest to burdensome post-war taxation. Stockbridge was chosen as its headquarters for what became known as “Shays Rebellion,” and sentinels stood on guard and patrolled the streets. The Red Lion Inn’s participation in these early events in the birth of the United States has earned it a place in the history books.
In 1807, the now “widow” Bingham sold her Inn for the sum of $10,000 to Main Street store owner Silas Pepoon. Today, Mrs. Bingham’s role at the Red Lion is commemorated in the popular Widow Binghams Tavern. In her day, the Inn was much smaller than it is today, consisting of only eight rooms, with low ceilings, massive beams and posts. On cool days, a fire always blazed in the hearth to welcome chilly travelers and townspeople alike. In a publication issued in 1903, Allen T. Treadway, then the owner of the Inn, had this to say: “The bar room was naturally the main feature of the Tavern. The original house consisted of the public rooms on the ground floor, perhaps eight bedrooms upon the first floor and a ballroom on the upper floor.”